Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas

Our home arose earlier than normal this morning to see what the fat man had brought. I heard two little voices (let's just say they really weren't that little) coming from the family room declaring that they were rather pleased with their Christmas surprises. Joshua found a Wii game that he had been wanting for quite some time, and Dominic received a boy baby doll.....Santa also left a G I Joe doll just in case. Said voices became louder as they ventured down the hall in an attempt to awaken mommy and Matthew. Neither of us were having that. 30 minutes later the two of us emerged to continue the festivities. Let's just say that Santa was really good to us this year!

As I sit here and look at my three sons playing with their new toys, it brings back so many memories of when I was their age. Although I have forged on and am creating new traditions with my young family, I would be remiss if the memories of Christmas past were not included somewhere in here. I can still remember Christmas Eve at my grandparents house; a big meal, "stocking stuffers," piles of presents with each family members names on them, camera flashes, and the ever popular declaration from my grandfather that "Christmas is over, let's turn off the lights." This most wonderful man was never much into the Christmas thing, but he was certainly into the family time and watching the love and joy that was spread around the Burke living room on this very special night. And then there was grandma all decked out in her Christmas best which included some sort of Christmassy shirt. I can still see her standing in the kitchen window as she worked on the feast and then watching with stars in her eyes as all of us opened our gifts. How happy I am that my grandparents spent their last Christmas together with their first Great-Grandson. I know Joshua doesn't remember that day but I certainly do. I thank God every day that we all have those memories. Oh how they both were looking forward to many more holidays with their brood of great grandchildren. Unfortunately that was not to be.


Today, as we celebrate the birth of our Savior, I am thankful for all the blessings in my life and for the two angels that watch over me every day that I am on this earth. How lucky I was to have such great grandparents and how blessed they both are today as they celebrate their first Christmas together in heaven. I love you grandma and grandpa and thank you for sharing in my Christmas memories.

No comments: