Monday, September 7, 2009

Fishes, Family, and Friends

After talking about it for several months, we finally received the prompting that we needed to make the two hour drive north to the Monterey Bay aquarium. Brandie, John, and JR were in town for their bro/sis in law's wedding so they invited us up for a visit. Truth be told I was more excited to see Brandie than I was to visit the aquarium, but either way the crowds were definitely worth it.

Jim also has a friend, Brian, who lives in the Monterey area so we headed out early yesterday to join him and his mom for lunch at Chili's. Holy cow....the city was sooooo packed. After lunch it took us nearly 30 minutes to go the 4-5 miles to the aquarium. Let's just say we were less than pleased to find both large parking structures full and what seemed like thousands of people roaming the streets around the wharf. We found a spot a few blocks from the aquarium with no meter or pay required; a bonus! Imagine my dismay when we found a line of nearly 100 people (at 2pm might I add) waiting to buy tickets to enter the museum. I had done my homework ahead of time so instead of paying $95 for a one day admission, we splurged on an annual membership for the bargain price of $149. Thank goodness, because after cramming into tight quarters like the anchovies on display, a second or third trip is a must! The boys (and the adults too) enjoyed the multitude of jellyfish, sharks, and otters on display, and even expored several of the discovery displays during our visit. We never even made it to the other half of the museum since we finally met up with Brandie, John, JR, and John's mom Jenny just outside the "Outer Banks" at around 3:00pm. Jim and I had dinner plans at 7pm so we were on a tight schedule.

Words cannot express how good it was to see my dear friend Brandie. It seems so strange that we can go months without seeing each other and we just pick right up where we left off. We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of her second child in the Spring and are hopeful that we can pay a visit to TN before then.


Matthew and Joshua review the map of the aquarium. Note that Matthew is pointing out something he wants to see.






Matthew enjoyed laying on the ground in front of the HUGE tank as the sharks swam below. He was so cute!




Joshua and Dominic gaze at the colorful jellyfish. These were just one of many species on display.



Matthew learns some new aquatic facts



Dominic tries his hand at the microscope and discovers new organisms



...and Joshua follows his lead



Matthew peers into the bay as the Sea Otters feast in the kelp beds



Jim helps Joshua and Dominic do the same, only they got a close up view



Love you Brandie!



Brotherly love....sometimes I capture moments of them sitting together conversing and I just can't help myself. I know Joshua truly loves his little brother even though he is adamant that he doesn't.



As if the aquarium wasn't enough excitement for the day, there was more in store for us. Earlier in the day we had made arrangements to have dinner at our local sushi restaurant with a few firefighter friends. Mid-day I received a text from my friend Kara explaining that her parents had offered to watch the kids and that she and her husband Paul were coming over. Of course she was kidding, but I was not when I replied and told her to be here by 7pm for sushi. She took us up on the offer so we had extra fun company AND house guests for the night....YAY!! We all enjoyed each others company and even stopped and grabbed a movie to watch. The pick of the night? Mirrors with Kiefer Sutherland. Let's just say that it kept us on the edge of our seats. I wouldn't recommend watching this one alone.

Unfortunately we awoke early this morning to one sick little boy which was quickly followed by another. Poor Joshua and Matthew contracted the stomach bug that Dominic had on Saturday. At this point, they both seem to be doing much better so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that tomorrow is a bright and healthy day!

Thanks Brandie, Kara, Paul, and my family for a wonderful Sunday. Family and friends are truly a blessing!

No comments: