Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Good Bill of Health

Matthew finally made it in for his 1 year well care visit yesterday. He enjoyed "studying" the two little girls in the lobby as they played ball and, as always, tapped away on my Blackberry for a few moments to stay busy. Finally, it was our turn!! I had been waiting for this day for nearly three months as I had not had him measured and weighed since his 9 month visit. I was sure that he would hold the crown as the "littlest" Riggio, even at the ripe old age of 1! He tipped the scale at 23 lbs, 12 oz and was 30 inches long - 50th percentile in both YIPPY! I am happy to finally have a normal sized baby. You see, Dominic was a chunk boy at his 1 year visit; over 27 lbs and 32 1/2 inches long!

Dr Herzberg said he looked great and, as always, informed me that I had three very beautiful little boys. She always enjoys hearing about Joshua, especially, because her oldest son is only a few months younger. It seems we both face the same challenges with the older boys. Her sons are Isaac (6) and Marcus (4) - and they fight and squabble just like Joshua and Dominic.

In addition to the 4 shots (Prevnar, MMR, Varicella, and Hep A) he was due to receive, the nurse slipped in a finger prick for an anemia test. I wish I had video taped Matthew! He was so calm and was not even phased by the finger prick. He closely watched as the nurse collected the sample and then placed a Bugs Bunny bandaid on his little finger. He would later chew it off and attempt to eat it. The shots, on the other hand, were not fun at all. I was thankful that the nurse had a quick hand and it was all over in a matter of seconds. Loaded up with Tylenol, we returned to the comfort of Matthews colorful classroom and he had a great rest of the day!

Thank you, little man, for being so brave!



Matthew tries to communicate with the birds outside by tapping on the window. Can you see his reflection? Too cute!


1 comment:

Vickie said...

What a handsome little boy!